Monday, August 19, 2013

FDOS

Today is the first day of school in Miami, a day I used to truly enjoy. I would walk one or both of the Ds to class, meet the teacher, and drink in the optimism. It was the first day, and the dunces hadn't messed up yet, and no one failed anything. We took pictures of the Ds in front of trees -- to show how they all had grown. Ah, those days for me are long gone... Or ARE they???? Maybe there's still hope for me! D2 was due to drive to UF yesterday, but missed the opportunity to see a local doctor today. Thankfully, all is well, but I'm taking the opportunity to drive with her. It'll give us some quality time as we cruise her red S40 up the Pike, and I've arranged to take out some of her friends -- to celebrate the beginning of their senior year. I'll spend one night in a motel, and then fly home on American Eagle. One way -- 400 miles: $270. Bastards! They're the only airline that flies the route, so they have me by the parachute strings... Oh well -- no biggie. I've traveled so little this year, I'm looking forward to it. Any opportunity I have to be surrounded by young folks -- well, their energy energizes me! Plus, I can drive by Florida Field and put the macalusa (Hispanic curse) on the Gators, as they're due to play my beloved Canes in just a few weeks... Wifey's headed out for the night, too. Her dear friend Edna has been in Broward, trying to assist her stubborn, failing parents. She's at her wit's end, and is headed to a Lauderdale beachfront hotel to decompress before she heads to Atlanta. Wifey will be there decompressing with her... But I'm Gville bound. This is now my 8th straight year of making these trips -- and I don't mind a bit. So D2 and her friends are picking out a MidTown spot -- maybe Leonardo's pizza? I'm one lucky Daddy that they want me around...

No comments: