Thursday, July 25, 2013

Stags'Leap Canes

So Dr. Dave alerted me to another wine pairing dinner at Shula's, and I alerted Dr. Ken. Nex thing I knew, 3 former Long Island guys were at the bar, drinking our "complementary: cocktail before dinner. We toasted to the health of our combined 6 kids --4 girls and 2 boys. They range in age from 16 to 27, and all are, thankfully, terrific. We found a spot at a back table, and the feast began. the Stags' Leap guy, also from LI, talked a little too long and detailed about the wine, but we drank and ate while he droned. First course was a Chardonnay and a huge prawn, over mango ceviche. Both were delicious. I usually don't drink wine - it keeps me up at night, but I made a happy exception last night. Next came Stags' Petite Syrah, and while the wine rep droned on, we also got a great lamb chop. The Shula's chef then spoke, and was more concise and entertaining. Then came a merlot and a rib eye steak. The Stags' guy talked abuot how the movie "Sideways" KILLED merlot sales -- as the wine was portrayed as the one selected by provincials and poseurs. No -- he insisted -- it was only an inside joke by the movie's directors --merlot was really great wine. And so it was, at least the $70 per bottle stuff they served last night. The final member of the wine fleet was a pinot noir, along with a cheese and desert course. The cheese was terrific, along with chocolate covered almonds, and berries. By now, the docs and I were feeling just fine -- especially for a school nihgt, as Ken pointed out. Then came the REAL desert. Canes coach Art Kehoe spoke about the upcoming season -- he's been a player and coach since 1979 -- same year I came to the U. He gushed about this year's team, and Coach Golden. My loins stirred with excitement... He ran a giveaway -- Canes football, jersey, and 2 great tickets to the Gator game. He called my name for the tickets! I went up to Art, who I had met over the years, and had a moment with him. Our eyes met, and there was a KNOWING. We spoke about Ed Perse, who Art remembered from his playing days and was my mentor as a lawyer. I mentioned Penn State in '79. Art's a Philly guy, so that game meant so much to him. We shook hands, and were both misty eyed. One has to truly love a sports team to get this. Art gets it. I offered the tickets to Dr. Dave and Ken. Dave admitted he likes the Gators, since one of his girls went there. Pshaw! Fortunately, he and his wife will be traveling to Cuba the weekend of the game -- some kind of educational trip. Ken wanted to go -- he was at ONE Canes game with me --the GREATEST of all time. He was down for Winter break in '83-'84 and watched the Canes beat Nebraska for the first championship. I figure he's good luck -- we 'll need him for the Gator game. All in all, a fine evening in South Miami -- in the company of men and grapes.

No comments: