Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chilling Cheese

So I was on my way home from the office, where things have been a bit busier lately. A case my partner and I brought in and set up came up for mediation last week, and Paul did what he does best: negotiated it for an entire day to a great conclusion.

The case showed that our vision for the law business works: Stuart and Brian did some work on the case, too -- essentially dealt with the paperwork for a year, and we all strategized and then implemented the plan, and then, Viola! -- a settlement.

Anyway, Wifey called and asked what I wanted her to cook for dinner. Ha. No -- did I want to meet somewhere. I was going south on Ludlam, and suggested the Big Cheese. She agreed, as Wifey, like me, can NEVER turn down good pizza.

I always laugh to myself when I enter the BC, since I remember the building's prior incarnation, ironically, as a funeral home. The owners took over in the 80s, and turned the place into a great local pizza place, filled with UM memorabilia. It's a major UM hangout -- they even have dishes named after former players and coaches.

We shared a delicious mushroom pizza, and a calzone, and a couple of salads, in deference to some minor form of healthful eating. All were delicious.

We sat outside, with a view of the gas station and ice cream shop, Walls, across the road, with Canton, Wifey and my courting restaurant, from back in the day, visible on the other side of busy S Dixie Highway.

We used to get take out from the BC when the Ds were small, and Wifey and I spent the rest of the dinner talking about them. I had just dropped off some paperwork outside of D1's apartment, and she told me how she was volunteering for a leader in her field, who she had sought out and followed up with. I told her how proud I was of her -- she truly goes after what she wants in life -- and she had texted me that I was the "best Dad on the planet." Well, she and her sister are in a 2 person club, as far as I'm concerned --"Best kids on the planet."

Wifey left to go pick up some Keurig K cups, while I headed home to take in the trash container, and let the dogs out. Ah -- Keurig. Like most technologies -- Wifey and I are a year or two behind the fads -- but we love this thing, which makes perfect cups of coffee easily. D1 got a maker, and D2 is getting one when she moves into her off campus house next year, so Wifey and I decided to join the Keurig club. We're fans now, having overcome the environmentalist's guilt of using a plastic container each time we have a coffee...Hey -- I recycle!

On my way out of the BC, as I was paying at the register, I asked the young girl if she knew what the building used to hold before the restaurant -- probably 10 years before she was born. She did. I told her if they find any old refrigerators, to leave the doors on them shut -- just in case. She laughed.

Ah. Pizza, calzone, and the laughter of a young lady. What more could you want from a restaurant?

No comments: