Thursday, June 5, 2008

Auf Wiedersein and Au Revoir

So, tomorrow Ds 1 and 2 and I are off to Europe for our first long family trip in 2 years. Wifey's back is still bothering her too much to travel, so she's flying to Atlanta to visit her friend.

My girls are pretty excited. We plan to fly to Munich, and then transfer to Passau, Germany where we'll spend the day and night, before boarding the MV Mozart for a Danube River cruise. We're already humming Strauss's waltz to get in the mood.

The river boat stops in Vienna, Bratislava, Melk, and Budapest. D2 just finished AP European History, and is actually excited about visiting these cities, at least as excited as a 16 year old will let on. D1 likes to be pampered, and apparently this cruise is known for that, with a great spa and big, comfortable chairs in the library where one can sit and watch the river flow by.

As for me --I'm just looking forward to being with my girls, and seeing some sights. I was chatting with my office roommate Brian yesterday about Europe, and he asked me what I was looking forward to. Honestly --if I never see an important church or other old building again, it'll be fine. I don't appreciate painting or sculpture very much, so museums don't excite me.

I guess, as I look back on my earlier trips, the best parts were meeting people, and hearing their stories (and eating their food). If I can walk through some interesting streets --that'll be fine.

After we return to Passau, we transfer to Munich, and then fly to Paris, where we spend 4 nights. D1 studied at the Sorbonne last summer, and lived there for 5 weeks, so she's eager to show us around. There again --I'm sure we'll see some museums, and probably travel to Versailles, but I most look forward to sitting in a cafe, drinking coffee, reading, and watching the Parisians act French.

Ok, so maybe I'll fantasize that I'm Hemingway, waiting to leave for the Spanish Civil War, and chatting up the locals.

Ds 1 and 2? I have a feeling there'll be a boutique or 2 there where they can help to further devalue the US dollar, at least the ones in my possession.

So --off to the old country. Here's to a fun trip. I promise to make no major life decisions while on vacation, although I typically enjoy some reflection when my surroundings change.

As my old roommate at college, a guy from Patchogue, Long Island, used to say: see youse all soon.

No comments: